The New American
by William F. Jasper
Photo of Bill Nye: Wikipedia Creative Commons link to https://www.flickr.com/photos/becker271/33409255563
Bill Nye (center in bow tie) is everywhere these days, and he’s out to “save the world.” He’s a frequent talking head on CNN, FOX, NBC, PBS, etc., usually on the supposed need for draconian regulation of humanity to stave off imminent global-warming apocalypse. On April 22nd (Earth Day) he led the March for Science in Washington, D.C., an event that drew thousands and inspired hundreds of copycat marches in cities across the country and around the world. And of course, there’s his new, sensational platform, Bill Nye Saves the World, on Netflix.
Nye and Netflix, no doubt, will insist the title of the new series makes use of obvious hyperbole for over-the-top cheeky humor effect, but the episodes released thus far reveal an aging social justice warrior (SJW) and wannabe hipster with a messianic complex who is peddling an authoritarian ideology/religion under a camouflage of pseudoscience.
Bill Nye the Science Guy has transmuted into a screechy, preachy ubiquitous presence who wants to penalize you if you have more than two children, jail you if you disagree with his global-warming catastrophism, and stigmatize you if you don’t adopt his transgender views or embrace his dogmatic religion of evolution. Even many of his liberal-left comrades are expressing concern that Nye’s strident, condescending new persona is annoying and alienating, and suggest that maybe he’s not the ideal candidate to be the public face of the climate-change/environmental movement. Besides noting that he has failed miserably in television debates, many of his allies acknowledge that Saves the World substitutes ideology and pseudo-science for real science, and that the program is replete with cringe-inducing segments that are embarrassing to watch.
“Bill Nye Is Not the Right Guy to Lead the Climate Fight,” declares the title of an April 27 article critiquing the would-be savior in the New Republic. A review at Gizmodo.com entitled “Bill Nye Spends Most of His New Netflix Show Yelling at the Audience” is by Maddie Stone, a fellow climate alarmist who says “Nye and I are on the same team,” but nonetheless finds Nye’s program to be “patronizing,” “excruciating,” ”bombastic,” and “angry.” Even a generally positive review of Bill Nye Saves the World at the leftist-progressive Vox.com admits “his approach could use some refinement,” and dings him for “condescension,” “meanness,” and a “scathing and dismissive tone” taken toward those who disagree with his views. Citing the notoriously off-putting arrogance of atheist/skeptic Richard Dawkins and “the perception that skeptics portray themselves as inherently superior to everyone else,” the piece by Vox’s Aja Romano notes: “This attitude is prevalent on Nye’s show.” Even the show’s comedic segments, Romano says, “often feel superimposed, unfocused, and frankly mean-spirited.”
Nevertheless, at least for now, Bill Nye the pseudoscience guy has been anointed by the establishment media as the celebrity performance artist to lead the charge for “science” in the service of Big Government, social transformation, and global regimentation. Millions of millennials and their parents have fond memories of Bill Nye from watching his eponymous PBS series in the 1990s. Back then, the skinny, geeky “science guy” in his signature bowtie and blue lab coat, with his quirky humor and frenetic enthusiasm, had a certain charm. Now, not so much. But he is savoring his new savior role and exploiting the sentimentality and credulity of his millennial fan base to build and energize a militant political movement.
On April 23, the day after his “March for Science” glory, the Washington Post featured an adulatory piece on Nye, along with a photo of the bow-tied messiah glancing wistfully upward toward the heavens. A ray of light is washing over his visage, obviously a sign of benediction from Gaia for his worthy crusade. “The moment he emerged onstage in a black jacket and red bow tie, the crowd noise hit near-deafening decibels,” the Post reported. “A sea of iPhones appeared, everyone stretching and jostling for the best possible photo angle. They cupped their hands to their mouths, screaming his name. Near the foot of the stage, a young woman with a bright-green pixie cut shouted: ‘I love you!’”
The Post continued:
It was a significant moment — for science, for William Sanford Nye and for the masses who have followed him for decades, from fuzzy TV screens in their middle school classrooms to the grounds of the Washington Monument at Saturday’s March for Science….
He has become more than the zany educator-entertainer who charmed kids with cartoonish sound effects. He is an activist for science, leading those now-grownups into political battle.
Of all the roles he has played, this is the one he was preparing for all along.
More accurately, this is the role that the propagandists and psychological manipulators at the Washington Post and their confreres in the MSM thought cartel have been preparing the likes of Bill Nye for all along. As we detailed in our recent five-part series on the Deep State & Fake News (see linked stories at the end of this article), the Washington Post has been a top globalist voice for decades, closely tied to both the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). [See here and here.] Bill Nye’s fans, the Post notes, “include former president Barack Obama, who invited Nye to visit the Everglades with him on Earth Day 2015, and more than 4 million Twitter followers. But none are so devout as the 20- and 30-somethings who mob him everywhere he goes.”
Yes, Bill Nye the media guru guy has legions of fans — and therein lies a major problem for the future of liberty. Having co-opted the mantle of science, he is now positioned to lead his millions of now grown (and misguided) millennial munchkins — who have also been brainwashed with K-12-college global-warming hysteria — on his green crusade. And where would he be taking them? Toward a tyrannical, dystopic future, if his recent words and actions mean anything. Consider these positions and statements from the Nye guy:
• “Extra Kids”: More than two is bad — In Saves the World episode No. 13 entitled “Earth’s People Problem,” Nye veers into population control (see video below) and gives one of the many glimpses into the authoritarian personality that lurks beneath the whimsy of his on-air persona. One of his panelists for the program, Dr. Travis Rieder of Johns Hopkins University, states that children in the United States emit 160 times the CO2 as those in the developing world, as for instance, in Nigeria. Which Nye takes as a prompt to ask: “Should we have policies that penalize people for having extra kids in the developed world?” Dr. Rieder says, “We should at least consider it.” But Nye, who is putting up with no equivocation or dallying on this important issue, cuts off the doctor and jumps in with the impatient retort, “Well, ‘at least consider it’ is like do it!” Dr. Rieder then suggests that one way to move in the right direction on population issues is to “encourage our culture and our norms to change.” Surprisingly, one of the other panelists, Dr. Rachel Snow, jumps in at that point to strongly object, saying: “I would take issue with the idea that we do anything to incentivize fewer children or more children.” She went on to say that this type of government interference violates basic justice and human rights. This is surprising because Dr. Snow is the head of population development at the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the notorious UN agency that has supported murderous forced-abortion program of Communist China’s infamous One-Child Policy. And UNFPA continues to “incentivize fewer children” all over the world. So most likely, Dr. Snow’s “anti” remarks were scripted in by Nye’s Netflix writers to provide the typical MSM faux balance: 3 to 1. In addition to Nye and Rieder, the pro-population control panel also featured Dr. Nerys Benfield. Of course, Nye didn’t bother to mention that “doctor” Benfield is an abortionist, a significant “oversight.” In fact, the A-word is never mentioned in the segment, lest pro-lifers (the majority of Americans) viewing the program realize the true nature of Nye’s gradualist agenda. The chilling upshot of this episode is the nonchalance with which Nye/Netflix introduce the proposition of population control, which would inevitably lead toward the totalitarian model of eugenics practiced by communist and Nazi regimes and championed by UNFPA, Planned Parenthood, and other merchants of death.
• Defame, Jail the Climate “Deniers” — As we reported in 2015, Bill Nye has been one of the most strident and abusive militants demanding that individuals who reject or doubt the apocalyptic warnings of anthropogenic (manmade) global warming (AGW) be labeled as “deniers.” In other words, smear them by equating their views with pro-Nazi Holocaust denial. We noted that in an appearance on the Huffington Post’s TV program he called on the host to stop using the term “skeptic” and use the more hateful term “denier” when referring to climate realists, who merely refuse to join in the climate panic. “We just don’t like to use that word [skepticism],” Nye told host Josh Zepps. “These people are deniers.”
In a November 6, 2015 interview with HuffPo, Nye again hit the theme of tarring opponents with the “denier” label, censoring them, and denying them a place at the “debate” table. “Part of the solution to this problem or this set of problems associated with climate change is getting the deniers out of our discourse,” said Nye. “You know, we can’t have these people — they’re absolutely toxic.” And as we noted, Nye was one of the signers of a letter sent to media organizations in December, 2014 calling on journalists to stigmatize AGW skeptics as “deniers.”
But last year he went even further, indicating that he is willing to entertain the proposals of some of his fellow alarmists who have argued that AGW “deniers” be prosecuted for treason as the equivalent of war criminals. In an exclusive sit-down interview, Climate Depot’s Marc Morano asked Nye if he agrees with enviro-fanatic Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s charge that “deniers” should be charged with treason and put in prison. Far from condemning the totalitarian scheme, Nye seemed to think it is a reasonable proposal. “Well, we’ll see what happens,” he responded. Then he added: “Was it appropriate to jail the guys from ENRON? … For me as a taxpayer and voter — the introduction of this extreme doubt about climate change is affecting my quality of life as a public citizen.” So, the scientific response is to just throw the “extreme doubters” in jail!
• Censor, Suppress AGW Skeptics’ Arguments & Evidence — In 2016, Bill Nye joined with other prominent zealots in urging the media and the public to shun the new documentary movie Climate Hustle produced by Climate Depot’s Marc Morano. It is obvious that Nye does not want the American public to be exposed to the powerful evidence and arguments presented in the film by prominent scientist skeptics. But, very likely, another reason he condemned the documentary is that it contains the jail-the deniers interview mentioned above, in which he exposes himself as an autocratic, anti-science fanatic who fears truth and would employ force rather than reason to silence those with whom he disagrees.
• Anti-science Guy Vs. Real Scientist — One of Bill Nye’s many performances that is both hilarious and frightening is an appearance on CNN opposite a distinguished AGW realist, Dr. William Happer, the Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics (emeritus) at Princeton University. Dr. Happer is a world-renowned scientist and author whose illustrious career (spanning over half a century) has included specialized research in the interaction of atoms and nuclei with radiation, the pioneering and development of adaptive optics, and inventing the sodium guide star to eliminate astronomical image blurring due to atmospheric turbulence. Bill Nye, on the other hand, began his career as a stand-up comedian and has graduated to celebrity AGW tele-evangelist. He does have a bachelor degree in engineering, but has not used it in any real sense, choosing instead to spend the past three decades of his life pursuing fame and fortune in the infotainment industry, not science. What is incredible about Nye’s performance, in this particular case, is his arrogant dismissiveness regarding Professor Happer, who Nye said doesn’t understand the rate at which humans are adding CO2 to the atmosphere. Then Nye lectured CNN on its failure to present the AGW debate according to his criteria. “As much as I love CNN,” said Nye, “you’re doing a real disservice by having one climate change skeptic and not 97 or 98 scientist or engineers concerned about climate change.”
Of course, “97-98 percent consensus” claim that Nye, Al Gore, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and the entire AGW Apocalypse Choir endlessly repeat as the supposedly unanswerable assertion that authoritatively proves “the science is settled,” is one of the biggest frauds of all time, as we have shown here, here, here, and here.
The irony of Nye’s CNN appearance goes beyond parody. You have the “science guy,” who’s actually a comedian/performance artist/propagandist/dogmatist, denigrating a world-class scientist and avoiding his arguments with a fallacious “appeal to authority,” while scolding CNN (which has been over-the-top in promoting AGW hysteria) for not being sufficiently zealous in promoting climate-change panic.
• “This Is War! You Must Submit and Sacrifice!” — Bill Nye the political science guy is one of the leading voices in the AGW chorus demanding that the climate crusade be elevated to the level of war, with Big Government instituting draconian wartime regulation, as we reported in “Climate Alarmists Demand Wartime Austerity, Rationing, Controls.”
• “Science Guy” Can’t Answer Simple Science Question — In a recent one-on-one appearance with Tucker Carlson on Fox News, Bill Nye repeatedly ducked answering a simple question posed by Carlson, who asked: “To what degree is climate changed caused by human activity? Is it a hundred percent caused by human activity, is it 74.3%? It’s ‘settled science,’ please tell us to what degree human activity is responsible.” Nye’s equivocation, evasion, and inability to answer the question caused Carlson to repose the question several more times, each of which yielded more evasion, incoherence, and exasperation by Nye. “To what extent is human activity responsible” for the rate of increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, Carlson asked. “A hundred percent!” Nye fantastically asserted. “If that’s the number you want. Humans are causing it to happen catastrophically fast.” This is the spokesman for “science”? The non-scientist celebrity “science guy” was transparently exposed as a media-created “expert” with no substance.
• Fraudulent Bill Nye, Al Gore CO2 Experiment Debunked — Meteorologist Anthony Watts has provided an excellent, detailed exposé of Climate 101, Bill Nye’s CO2 video experiment done in conjunction with Al Gore’s badly misnamed Climate Reality Project. The Nye-Gore program was not a “science project” by any stretch of the word; in fact, it was an outright fraud, as Watts meticulously demonstrates, in a recreation of the “experiment.” The above-mentioned article is but one of many exposing Nye’s incompetence, intolerance, and dishonesty (see here) on the award-winning WattsUpWithThat.com website.
• The Transgender SJW “Sex Junk” Guy — It seems Bill Nye’s forays into trendy, kinky sex topics are a bit much for even some of his most die-hard fans and media allies. Many find, for instance (and rightfully so), that his Saves the World episode featuring his “Ice cream sexuality” cartoon and rap-shock “artist” Rachel Bloom haranguing about her “Sex Junk” to be — putting it mildly — embarrassing and disgusting beyond cringe-worthy. Besides, Nye looks worse than ridiculous trying to dance along to the offensive Bloom number as she and her cohorts grab their crotches and croak about their private parts and functions of their anatomies. Is this merely Bill Nye the nerdy square trying to show that he’s hip, like his Dancing With the Stars episodes?
• Bill Nye the Transgender Memory Hole Guy — In the above-mentioned Netflix program with Rachel Bloom’s paean to sex fluidity and LBGTQ “pansexuality,” Nye tells us, “What makes someone male or female isn’t so clear-cut.” There are all kinds of “flavors” of sexuality determined by biology, avers the “science guy.” However, as The Federalist reports, this clashes with the Bill Nye the Science Guy episode of 1996, which correctly notes that “inside each of our cells are these things called chromosomes, and they control whether we become a boy or a girl.” That 1996 episode then goes on to explain the straightforward biology of XX and XY chromosomes in sex typing. Clearly, this conflicts with the current dogma of the transgender PC police, so Netflix has deleted this section from the older episode.
Yes, Bill Nye, who millions of fans fondly remember as the goofy, geeky, endearing “science guy,” has transmogrified into a mean, arrogant, ego-inflated, publicity-seeking, eco-jihadist whose authoritarian ideology is more in line with the lethal, anti-science totalitarianism of Soviet Lysenkoism rather than the true scientific inquiry he pretends to champion.