by Robert Barsocchini
- The USA started carrying out coups, assassinating leaders, and sponsoring terrorism and extremists in Syria in 1948, continuing to the present moment, as everyone knows, under Obama. Examples, provided by David North:
- “The Eisenhower administration was troubled by the popularity of the “progressive front,” which was backed by elements in the Syrian army led by Colonel Adnan Malki. The United States was particularly angry that Malki’s faction opposed Syrian membership in the anti-Soviet Baghdad Pact, modeled on NATO, which the Eisenhower administration set up in January 1955. On April 22, 1955, Malki was assassinated while attending a soccer match by a member of the pro-US and right-wing Syrian Social National Party. An official investigation into the assassination found that the US was a major supporter and financier of the SSNP. It was well known that the SSNP had close ties with the CIA.”
- “Working closely with its counterparts in British intelligence, the CIA and the British SIS developed Operation Straggle. In what appears today to be an early model of the present US-orchestrated “rebel” insurgency [in Syria]:”
- “The original CIA-SIS plan appears to have called for Turkey to stage border incidents, British operatives to stir up the desert tribes, and American agents to mobilize SSNP guerillas, all of which would trigger a pro-Western coup by “indigenous anticommunist elements within Syria” supported, if necessary, by Iraqi troops. What Washington perceived as a deteriorating situation in Damascus made Straggle more and more attractive. [Little, p. 66]“
- “The coup planned by the CIA was scheduled to take place on October 25, 1956. The CIA had provided $150,000 to the conspirators.”
- Dr. Noam Chomsky notes (and here): “The US at that time had three major crisis areas, according to the internal discussions, all in Islamic countries, all in oil-producers. One was Indonesia, one was Algeria, one was basically Iraq — the Iraqi region. Those were the three crises. It was made explicit in the internal meetings. In fact, Eisenhower, vociferously, according to the minutes, insisted on this: there was no Russian involvement. The enemy is indigenous nationalism. In fact, that’s true throughout the Cold War, but very explicit then, and Eisenhower did discuss it with his staff…”
- The USA’s sponsorship of terrorism in Syria and everywhere in the Mid East and globally was maintained with complete continuity after the fall of the Soviet Union, exhibiting how much that empty pretext was worth. Pretexts will always be updated to pacify an uninformed public into accepting elite marauding and plunder, and even get them to naively cheer it on.
- In the late 1970s, the USA started supporting Islamic terrorists to carry out atrocities in Afghanistan to induce the Soviet Union to intervene to protect its client government. Obama’s mentor Zbigniew Brzezinski planned to give Russia “its Vietnam”, meaning the US wanted to start another war that would pile up millions of corpses and be costly for Russia (which Obama is trying today in Ukraine). After three official requests from the Afghan government, the Soviet Union answered and invaded, and thus the US succeeded in its goal as some two million corpses were piled up in the brutal war.
- The problem in Afghanistan was that US elites wanted to control its resources and strategic space as part of their worldwide bid to direct profits into their pockets, but with the Soviet-backed government in place, they couldn’t.
- Here is one of Obama’s mentors, Zbigniew Brzezinski, at the time, egging on some of the Holy Warriors who would then enter Afghanistan. He tells them God is on their side, etc.:
The above Brzezinski clip always reminded me of something, and I finally realized what it was:
(Tolkien was a brilliant professor who experienced unspeakable tragedy in war and expressed it in his masterworks.)
- The Holy Warriors, of course, were not clueless idiots. Just because Brzezinski seemed to think they were pliant beings that he was molding for his own benefit doesn’t mean they were. They were playing him every bit as much as he was playing them. They have their own volition, and they put it into practice: they accepted the US sponsorship for their terror campaign, then, when they were strong enough, attacked the US for the same reasons they attacked the Soviet Union and the same reasons Latin Americans used to attack US targets: for interfering in their affairs, slaughtering mountains of their people, etc. Yeah; Brzezinski giving the Holy Warriors some sleazy terror sermons, which they probably laughed about when he left, didn’t make them forget all that…
- In depth details and sources on the USA’s sponsorship of the Mujahideen, Holy Warriors, here.
- Some key details, discussed at the above link, for understanding that the USA does not have good intentions in its actions in the world are:
- 1) Before the US helped turn Afghanistan into an Islamic fundamentalist extremist state, women there, under the Soviet-backed government, actually had rights: they were in schools and universities and wearing whatever they wanted:
- The USA put a prompt end to that, resulting in the new dress code required by the US-backed regime:
- Not the main intention of the US elites (their intention is to get richer) but openly considered an absolutely unimportant, piddling matter, concerning mere peons, by the supreme beings in Washington.
- 2) The USA produced violent jihadist literature and distributed it to children in Afghanistan to foster more violent jihad.
- “The US, through USAID and the University of Nebraska, spends millions of dollars developing and printing textbooks for Afghan schoolchildren. The textbooks are “filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings…”
- In the entire year before the USA’s illegal, international terror-bombing of Yugoslavia, US-backed jihadist extremists, including Al Qaeda members, committed the vast majority of the crimes in the region. Their stated goal was to create a pretext for the US/NATO bombing.
- Bill Clinton literally helicoptered Al Qaeda members into Bosnia as part of his international terrorist campaign against Yugoslavia. See here.
- At the end of 2013, 49% of Bosnia and Herzegovina considered the USA to be the greatest threat to world peace, with no other country ranking anywhere close (Win/Gallup). Russia got 2% of the vote, about 25 times fewer votes than the US.
- While supporting Mubarak of Egypt and many other such dictators for decades, US elites also spend decades trying to murder certain leaders, like Nelson Mandela’s ally Muammar Qaddafi. At first, US terrorists only succeeded in murdering Qaddafi’s daughter and lots of other people, but they finally got him by teaming up with Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, who, acting as mercenaries for the USA, lynched him, to Hillary Clinton’s uncontrollable delight.
- See Destroying Libya and World Order: The Three Decade Campaign to Terminate the Qaddafi Revolution, by Dr. Francis Boyle, JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School; PhD, Political Science, Harvard University.
Back to Syria
- Bush’s gang continued the barbarian USA’s policy of international terrorism against Syria, as terrorist Wesley Clark noted when he revealed that Bush planned to overthrow seven Mid East countries, including Syria, and as Pulitzer winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh also noted in 2007, here.
- Obama and his cadre of terrorist thugs, specifically and predominantly Hillary Clinton, simply continued and intensified Bush’s and the USA’s longstanding policy of international terrorism against Syria.
- Obama doesn’t even pretend to be supporting “moderates” any more. Now he just openly aids the Islamic Front in Syria, among other jihadist groups. However, even Obama’s cover group, the FSA, was always a largely jihadist, terrorist group itself, carrying out atrocities such as corpse mutilation and massive bombings of election rallies.
- Hersh, in the above 2007 article, also notes how US support for terrorist operations has, as a “by-product”, bolstered other extremist groups in the region.
- Obama and regional Mid East allies also directly aid Al Qaeda and linked groups like ISIS in Syria, who, as Seymour Hersh’s US government sources have said, carried out, with US ally Turkey, the Ghoutta chemical attack in Syria. Obama doesn’t talk about that.
- But he does request hundreds of million of dollars for these groups while Amnesty International and the UN condemn the USA for cutting off water to poor people in Detroit, which is consistent with the USA’s standing as the only country in the world that rejects nourishment as a human right. There’s money to be made from nourishment!
Since trade ignores national boundaries and the manufacturer insists on having the world as a market, the flag of his nation must follow him, and the doors of the nations which are closed against him must be battered down. Concessions obtained by financiers must be safeguarded by ministers of state, even if the sovereignty of unwilling nations be outraged in the process. Colonies must be obtained or planted, in order that no useful corner of the world may be overlooked or left unused.
– Woodrow Wilson, unpublished paper, 1907
All of the above international terrorism carried out by US elites is precisely aligned with their stated profit and investment interests. They, not us, control the weapon that is the state gang (the “armed forces”), and they use it exactly as president Wilson and countless other officials have directly stated: to force open and control global markets to secure profits. That their weapon, the state, is largely made of people, and that these people are constantly killed as a by-product of using the weapon, is meaningless – peons are expendable nothings; Walmart executives call them “peasants” in official documents – unless the rabble starts getting upset that so many of them are dying and thus it becomes too politically costly for the executives. This is why the USA often censors the images of its dead peons.
The word for running such operations is “empire”. Empire is extremely profitable for the elite beneficiaries and extremely costly for us, since we pay for it in cash, labor, and blood.
As Michael Parenti, PhD Political Science, Yale University, documents, “empire feeds off the republic.”
Robert Barsocchini is an American investigative journalist and writer for the film industry. Here is his blog. Also see his free e-book, Whatever it Takes – Hillary Clinton’s Record of Support for War and other Depravities. Click here to follow Robert and his UK-based colleague, Dean Robinson, on Twitter.